September 2020 Newsletter Default Category

Summertime, learning time.
View this email in your browser

Summertime, learning time!

Hope you are all well!

So many things that I used to take for granted – decent air quality is one of them! I am so happy to resume my evening walk with my family yesterday, after 10 days of staying inside my house. Early this August, California had lots of wildfires after the dry thunderstorm. Many people had to evacuate, and many firefighters were working hard to contain the fires. I am thankfully only experiencing poor air quality, but those who had to evacuate from their homes are in my thoughts. 

The bag above is my Gwi Jumeoni bag made with cotton canvas printed with my own bojagi patterns. I truly enjoyed this experiment of printing my own artwork onto the fabric, and love the resulting unique project! 

I spent August as my downtime learning Applique-working with silk organza, Monochromatic botanical prints, and Hand quilting from other teachers. It is wonderful to gain knowledge and wisdom from dedicated teachers and artists.
I had a great time learning from an artist, Emily Jo Gibbs in London, U.K. I've been following her work for a while, and dreaming of taking her workshop in London. And I was thrilled to hear about her online class and I jumped in! I enjoyed this stitching on linen and organza during August, my relaxing month! Next month, I will be experimenting with Irit Dulman's Botanical printing. And I enjoy watching Bobine, Oh Youngsil's Youtube videos Thanks to wonderful teachers for their online workshop offers! 

Now, I am working on using Zoom and adapting my DVD videos to teach an online bojagi class! It requires a little tech work to bring this online, so thank you for your patience. I will announce the dates in mid- September.

Korea Textile Tour 2020 has been postponed to May 2021 and October 2021. 

Teok bokki is one of my favorite comfort food dishes. There was one small restaurant for mostly students near my middle school. After school, all the kids (including me) were always hungry and we went to this place for Tteok bokki.

When I visited Seoul last year, I saw that restaurant is still there!  The endless menu was still there and serving not only students but grown-ups like me who have fond childhood memories of yummy yet inexpensive food.

Oh, I wish I could take my textile tour people there! The place's name is 
딸기골, Strawberry Town. If you travel to Seoul with me next year, let’s stop by!

It was great to teach this Flower Pinchsion class and I will offer a few more Zoom classes in Ocober. Please stay tuned! A Verb For Keeping Warm is making kits and I will carry them on my website soon. These are all made by my students during last month's class. I am very proud of them!
I found these old cords with wire inside in my material box and recently my friend, Mei Lie sent a boxful of these, too. I miss Mrs. Kim, my maedeup teacher in 1998-1999. And my wonderful classmates, Geanie, Mei Lie, and Shinja! We met at Mrs.Kim’s house every Saturday for her lesson. That was my first time taking a class to feed my creative craving. Let's make this Dragonfly meadeup together on Wednesday, 9/23, 10 am PDT! Sign up here.

Also, I will teach the Gwi Jumeoni Sachet Class one more time on Friday, 9/25, at 10 am PDT.  Sign up here! 

These are classes that I send out pre-recorded videos and (optional) kits, and I will host a 1-hour Zoom meeting for demonstration and Q&A. If you are in a different time zone, we can discuss a Zoom meeting time that works for both of us when you sign up. So feel free to sign up even if you are in a different time zone or on a different continent!
Tteok bokki  떡볶이

1 LB Tteok (plain rice cake) for Tteok bokki 
1/4 cup thinly sliced scallion
1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
1 sheet of Eomuk- fishcake
1/4 cup green cabbage
3 TBS Gochujang (pepper paste)
1 TBS Gochugaru (pepper flakes)
3 TBS Soysauce 
3 cloves of crushed garlic 
1 TBS Sugar
Balck pepper for taste
1 cup Water

In a small bowl, mix gochujang, gochugaru, soy sauce, sugar, and crushed garlic together to make the sauce.
Put onion, green cabbage, tteok, eomuk, and scallion in a pan over medium heat. 
Add water and the sauce to the pan of ingredients.

Stir occasionally and cook until tteok and green cabbage get soft. Enjoy!

Leave Comments

You'are not allowed to write comments. Please sign in.