Last Adventures in 2012 Life

Happy New Year!

Wish you all prosperity and good health!

새해 복 많이 받으세요!

건강과 행복이 가득한 한 해가 되기를 바랍니다!

One evening, we decide to drive down to LA for fun.

We left home early in the morning and drove several hours until we get tired.

It has been cold in Bay Area so we were expecting warmer weather in southern California.

But it was snowing when we pass the mountains....

We arrived as we planned and went to the noodle place in Korea town for lunch.

The noodle came in a huge bowl and I couldn't even eaten half of it.

어느 저녁, 남편과 둘이서 갑자기 엘에이에 다녀오자! 하고는 다음날 새벽에 집을 나섰습니다.

제가 사는 베이지역이 며칠째 추워서 따뜻한 남쪽 햇살이 그립기도 했나봅니다.

그런데 엘에이 가는 길에 있는 큰 산들을 넘는데 눈발이 날이네요.... 에고 여보, 우리 스노우 체인은 챙겼나?

점심을 엘에이서 먹자는 계획대로 도착해서 국수집엘 들어 갔는데 어마어마한 그룻에 한가득 담겨나오네요.

전의를 상실하고 반도 못 먹었네요.

We drove to the Fashion District in downtown LA for fabric shopping.

Oh! I felt like I am in the middle of Gwanjang market in Seoul!

Bolts and bolts of fabrics were greeting me and the merchants are ready to sell anything in their store.

점심후 자바시장이라고 불리우는 패션디스트릭트에 쇼핑하러 갔습니다.

아! 서울의 광장시장에 온듯 가슴이 벅차오르기 시작하네요!

가게 밖으로까지 진열해 놓은 옷감들의 인사를 받으며 시장을 살펴보았어요.

I've read that I can ask for bargain so I was ready to have fun, too.

One store has lots of Indian silk and the price was pretty good.

I got some of hand woven silk ( it was cheaper than the machine made ones!) and got some brocades for my Bok-jumoni class.

The price went down when I was thinking how many yards I need :)

흥정이 가능한 곳이라고 읽은 바 있어 더욱 더 재미있겠다 싶네요.

한가게에 들어가서 인도산 수직실크를 기계직보다도 싼 값으로 사고 곧 있을 복주머니 클래스에서 쓸 인조양단도 좀 샀어요.

몇마가 필요할지 생각하고 있으니 주인이 값을 깎아주네요.ㅎㅎ

There' a notion store and found some hera markers and needles with really good price.

부자재 가게에선 뿔칼과 바늘을 싼값에 사고요.

And I saw one store sells tiered petticoats. I got two for my baby who always looking for petticoats for her costume.

I wish I would live in LA for this fun market place.

Next time, I will make a list of things to check because I was overwhelmed by the numbers of stores and got tired too soon....

지나치다보니 딸아이가 좋아할 만한 패티코트를 파는 가게가 있네요.

코스플레이할때 좋겠다 싶은 걸로 두개 샀지요. 놀러와서도 자식생각이 나네요...

이렇게 재미난 곳이 있는 엘에이 근처에 살면 얼마나 좋을까요.

다음에는 무얼 살지 리스트를 꼭 만들어 와야 겠습니다. 규모와 숫자에 기가 눌려 금방 지쳐버렸어요...

In the evening, we went to Korean BBQ place and waited for an hour to be seated.

It was Sunday, December 30th and didn't make a reservation so I couldn't blame anyone.

Everything was delicious- what would not be good after an hour waiting but they served very good quality meat!

저녁엔 무얼 먹을까 하다가 강호동의 백정이란 곳이 있다고 해서 고기구워 먹으러 갔지요.

일요일에 연말이다보니 예약없이는 한시간을 기다려야 했어요.

그렇게 기다려서 자리를 잡고 보니 뭐든 다 맛있네요! 좋은 고기를 쓰나봐요.

I ordered this extraordinary lunch box.

The lunch box has rice, kimchi, omuk bokum (fishcake), kongjang (soybean), Gim (roasted seaweed), anchovy and over easy egg.

고기를 다 굽고 나서 추억의 도시락을 주문했더니 네모난 도시락 안에 밥, 김치,어묵볶음, 콩자반,김가루, 멸치볶음 그리고 계란후라이가 들어있어요.

The server showed us what's inside and closed the lid of the lunch box and shook it over until everything was mixed!

This reminds people the lunch box in their school years. The lunch box inside of their book bag was shaken while the students take busy bus to go to school and when they open the box in lunch time, everything was mixed up.....

I'd say this lunch box's special ingredient is a sentimental flavor.

After the dinner, we smelled like a BBQ :)

뚜껑을 열어 보여주더니 다시 닫고는 사정없이 흔들어 섞네요.

학창시절 만원버스타고 학교가다보면 저절로 흔들리고 섞여서 비빔밥이 되어버리는 바로 그 도시락을 일부러 만들어 주니 추억의 맛이 느껴지는거 겠지요.

Since this was our spontaneous trip, we checked the hotel with a room with our smart phone.

Years ago, we always carried out AAA tour book for hotel reservation.... It was long time ago.....

Last minute deal gave us upgrade room for the regular price!

갑자기 떠난 여행인지라 이제서야 호텔을 찾습니다.

예전에는 여행갈때 필수로 챙기던게 AAA투어 북이었지요.

전화 걸어 호텔방 예약을 하던...

운좋게 방을 구하고 또 업그레이드까지 되어서 경치까지 즐기며 하룻밤을 묵었네요.

We stayed in hotel in Long Beach with a spectacular harbor view.

The next day, we went to the store my husband wanted to go and got a jacket that he likes a lot.

He is very particular in his clothes shopping. (did I tell you that he bought and returned a leather jacket for 5 time and ended up having nothing?) But he found 'the one' with a great price at the store and all his driving was paid off!

We went back to Korea town for lunch and shopping again.

We had jjamppong (seafood noodle), bought 6 packs of rice cakes, mandu (dumpling) for dinner and comforter (extra soft) and folding chair for our daughter and drove back home.

We were able to be back home before midnight countdown and toast with a glass of champagne.

It was really fun adventure and best way to say bye to 2012!

다음날 아침, 남편의 이번 여행 단한군데 희망지- 찍어놓은 가죽자켓을 파는 가게로 갔습니다.

자기옷 사는데는 조금 까다로운 사람인지라 (가죽자켓을 하나 살려고 다섯번을 주문, 교환, 반품하고 결국 못샀다는...) 어떨까 싶었는데 옷에도 인연이 있는지 가게문을 나서기 직전 발견한 자켓을 샀습니다. 여러시간 운전해 간 보람이 있었어요! 

Korea town으로 다시가서 짬뽕을 먹고 떡을 여섯팩이나 사고 저녁으로 먹을 만두도 사고 딸아이 줄 폭신한 이불도 사고 앉은뱅이 의자도 하나사서 집으로 향했습니다.

그리 늦지 않은 밤에 도착해서 자정이 될때 샴페인도 한 잔 할 수 있었으니 2012년을 멋지게 마무리한 셈이지요!

Tag :

Leave Comments

You'are not allowed to write comments. Please sign in.