My first machine quilt class with Joe the Quilter

I took my first ever machine quilt class! Joe Cunningham, Joe the quilter was teaching his 'Rock the Block' class at Cotton Patch in Lafayette. He brought many of his masterpiece quilts and his guitar. When I found him on internet years ago, I was very curious about his quilts because they look very different than other quilts and I could feel freedom from his works. And I wanted to know about his secret! 

http://joethequilter.com/aboutjoe.html

On the day of the class, I was self conscious and intimidated to show my fabrics that I brought. I taught many quilters but don't know much about quilt at all. But Joe and other students (two of them are quilt shop owners and two of them looked experienced quilters) were nice and kind :)

Joe's instruction was very easy to follow yet everybody made totally different units than other people in the room. While we were making 30 squares Joe talked about this quilts, stories and he even play guitar. I really enjoyed this fun and relaxing class. The process is most important thing for the day and I like the fact that even though I choose, cut and sew fabrics together but anticipation exists throughout the whole process and I can't tell what is waiting for me!

I think I was able to build some confidence to introduce myself to him. I brought my DVD for him and he gave me his signed book, "Man Made Quilts: Civil War to the Present".

After we all finished making squares he helped us to arrange them on the table. I bet this is the fun part that everybody gets excited including Joe!

Today was another good day that I made another progress in my life and made a friend while I was learning. Thanks Joe!

Tag :

Leave Comments

You'are not allowed to write comments. Please sign in.