LACMA workshop #4 and video

SF Bay area was hot this weekend! Over 100 degree Fahrenheit! But LA was nice and comfortable :) I again had a great time at LACMA, sharing bojagi with many people. This was my last workshop and we made Bok Jumoni, Good fortune pouch. Korean traditional costumes don't have any pocket so people made and carried small pouches to put things they want to carry. Not only put things but also good fortune was one of the things that Korean people wanted to put inside of Jumoni. We used saekdong ( multi colored) fabric for outside of jumoni and solid faux silk fabric for inside. Everything is sewn by hand and we used homjil ( running stitch), bakumjil ( back stitch) and gamchimjil (whip stitch). I pre-made 100 garakji knots ( ring shape knot) to decorate the string.  One of my loyal student just turned 9 last month and I had 2 more 9 year old boys this time. And I had a few younger children who were eager to participate by adding more pieces on our community bojagi. Talking about our community bojagi, it got bigger this time again!

우리동네가 화씨 100도를 넘기며 무덥던 지난 주말 저는 쾌적한 날씨의 엘에이를 다녀왔습니다. 어째 반대로 된 것 같네요 ㅎㅎ. 네번의 워크샵중 마지막으로 이번엔 복주머니를 만들었습니다. 호주머니가 없는 한복에는 주머니를 꼭 만들어 차고 다녔지요. 필요한 물건들도 넣고 다녔지만 복도 같이 넣을 수 있게 복주머니라고 부릅니다. 색색의 천을 이러 만들수도 있지만 워크샵에는 색동옷감을 사용했지요. 그리고 끈장식에 달린 가락지 매듭도 100개나 만들어 갔답니다. 4번의 워크샵에 엄마와 함께 다 참여한 아가씨는 지난달 9살이 되었답니다. 이번엔 9살짜리 4학년 남자아이 둘이 와서 놀랄만큼 즐거워하며 주머니를 완성했습니다. 몇몇 어린 친구들은 주머니대신 우리 컴뮤니티 보자기에 붙일 조각을 잇기에 열심이었구요. 우리 컴뮤니티 보자기는 또 이만큼 훌쩍 자랐습니다! 

And Lidia brought her finished sangbo to share with me. She used Brazilian embroidery to embellish her sangbo. Thank you for sharing!

그리고 리디아는 지난번 상보를 멋지게 완성해서 제게 보여주려고 가져왔습니다. 배우고 있는 브라질 자수 기법을 사용해서 장식을 했네요. 감사합니다!

And I found this video that we shoot at the beginning of this series of bojagi workshop in LACMA website. I am stuttering a lot but hope you can get some information about bojagi and Korean tradition.

http://www.lacma.org/video/korean-bojagi

그리고 워크샵을 시작할때 만든 인터뷰 영상이 완성되어 라크마 웹사이트에 올라가 있네요. 버벅거리고 더듬거리지만..... 한번 보세요.

Tag :

Leave Comments

You'are not allowed to write comments. Please sign in.