May 2020 Newsletter Default Category

May Newsletter from Youngmin
View this email in your browser

May the future get brighter!

I hope everybody is well and safe! 
Despite all the shelter-in-place and social distancing, once again the month flew by. I was busy making face masks, which are now a necessary item when we go outside. I made 300+ masks and donated them to people who need them, and now I am taking a little break. I did my first ever Facebook live at the ACTA, Alliance of California Traditional Arts page. I talked about bojagi and my recent mask making. Then I made a video tutorial of how to make Gwi Jumeoni-shaped face mask. Here's my Youtube link.

My May, June, and July travel workshops were all canceled but I try to see the bright side – I will be able to put more time into my ongoing projects and research. 
I lost count of days and our shelter in place mandate was extended for another six weeks here in California. It is a sad and difficult time but I am trying my best to do my part. Stay at home. Sending everybody my warm wishes and big hugs! 

Recipe of the month-Japchae

Japchae, Korean style noodles with mixed vegetables

This is a popular dish for parties, potlucks, and sometimes a one-dish meal. 

4 oz Dangmyeon (Mung bean or potato noodles )
3 Shitake mushroom
4 Oyster mushroom
1/2 Onion
1 Bell pepper
1/2 Bunch spinach
3 Cloves of crushed garlic
Soy sauce
Sesame oil
Vegetable oil for stir-fry vegetables
Roasted sesame seeds
Salt, pepper 

Soak dangmyeon in water for 30 min.
Julienne mushrooms, onion, bell pepper and stir-fry them separately. (Add 1-2 tsp of vegetable oil and a dash of salt)
Blanch spinach and rinse with cold water. Squeeze out water and cut to 2" long. And season with salt, pepper, and sesame oil.
Cook dangmyeon in boiling water with 2 TBS soy sauce and 1 tsp vegetable oil for 8-10 min.
Drain noodles and add sesame oil (1-2 tsp), sugar ( 1tsp) and soy sauce (1 TBS) and mix well.
In a medium heat pan, add 2 tsp vegetable oil and crushed garlic.
When garlic turns brown, add dangmyeon and other ingredients.
Mix them well and season with soy sauce, sesame oil, pepper, and roasted sesame seeds. Enjoy!

Flower Pin Cushion Booklet is here!

I am so happy to announce that my Flower Pin Cushion booklet is available to purchase now.
An 8-page booklet that shows step-by-step guidance on how to make 'Flower Pin Cushion'.  Naturally dyed fabric kit will be available soon at my website and  A Verb For Keeping Warm in Oakland, CA. 

Leave Comments

You'are not allowed to write comments. Please sign in.

April 2020 Newsletter Default Category

April Newsletter from Youngmin
I hope you and your loved ones are well during these unprecedented times.

Please continue to stay safe and be kind to each other.

BTW, I am well and my family in California and Korea are all well! My mom sent me her recent tablet drawing to cheer us up and I want to share it with you.

Spring is in the air

I hope all of our efforts to slow down the spread of the COVID-19 virus are successful. I live in Northern California and we have been under shelter-in-place orders since mid-March, and the stay-at-home order has been extended until May 3rd.  Since I have more free time than normal, I started sewing projects that I’d put aside for a while. I finished making a jacket, a dress, and a few small projects. Then I moved my direction to make face masks for family and friends. Now I am making masks for those people who still have to go to work while we stay at home. My friend Julie Weisenberger, the owner of Cocoknits, donated boxes of muslin fabric so I can keep making masks. And a few friends are willing to take some fabrics and sew more masks. If you live near me and want to participate in this, please let me know. I am happy to share materials with you so we can help together. 

I am optimistic about the Korea Textile Tour in October; however, I am going to wait until summer to make a decision. Please be patient and positive!

Keep calm and sew on!

Hugs,
Youngmin

Schedule in 2020

Many workshops are canceled or postponed but I am hoping that we can resume all the exciting events soon!

Recipe of the month- Bulgogi 

One good thing about Stay at home order is having meals with my husband every day. This easy dish is my dinner tonight!

1 LB thin-sliced beef ( I use Shaved beef from Trader Joe's) 
4 TBS soy sauce
2 TBS sugar or honey
2 TBS cooking wine or soju or white wine 
3 TBS crushed Korean pear (optional)
5 Cloves of crushed garlic
2 TBS chopped scallion
1 tsp thin-sliced ginger
1 tsp black pepper
1 TBS toasted sesame seeds
1 TBS sesame oil 

Mix all the ingredients to make marinade sauce.
Marinade meat with this sauce at least 30 min. 
Stir fry meat with your favorite vegetables such as sliced onion, mushrooms, carrots, chives or anything you can find in your refrigerator.
Serve with cooked rice. Enjoy! 

Instagram
Website
Email
Instagram
Facebook

Leave Comments

March 2020 Newsletter Default Category

April Newsletter from Youngmin

Spring is coming 

February was another busy month and I met many people – I taught a number of workshops at the San Mateo County libraries, and a day-long class at the San Francisco School of Needlework and Design.
When I visited the Asian Art Museum to take the Korean gallery tour lead by Hyonjeong Kim Han, the curator of the Korean department, I found this beautiful Moon jar in a new home. Of course, it is not a real house, but the Hanji floor, Hanji wall, and pinewood made me feel that I am inside of a Hanok, Korean traditional house with this Moon jar.
Now the weather is changing and flowers are cheering in the garden, but the Coronavirus outbreak is making many people sick and the spread around the area is very alarming. We should all take every precaution, but let's be patient and optimistic!

Recipe of this month

Soft Tofu Soup (Sundubu jjigae)

• 1 package 12 ounces sundubu (extra soft/silken tofu)
  • 1/2 cup thinly sliced kimchi
  • 3 ounces pork or beef
  • 1/2 cup Manila clams or shrimp
  • 1 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes (gochugaru)
  • 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 tablespoon sesame oil 
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 cup anchovy broth or water
  • 1/2 teaspoon Saeu-jeot (fermented small shrimp) to season
  • pinch black pepper
  • 1 scallion, finely chopped
Boil water with 10 dried anchovies for 10 min. to make broth.
In a medium heat pan, put vegetable oil and red pepper flakes. When oil turns into clear red color, turn off the heat and strain to get clear red chili oil (Guchu gireum)
Saute meat, garlic, kimchi, and red chili oil (Guchu gireum) in medium heat. 
Add broth and soft tofu and boil. Add Manila clams and shrimp.
Season with saeu jeot and scallion and boil another 2-3 min.
Turn off the heat and add sesame oil. Serve with rice.

Leave Comments