September 2019 Newsletter Default Category

Summer memories
View this email in your browser

So long Summer

Now having an afternoon tea is a part of my routine in my daily life. I still am a coffee drinker in the morning but afternoon tea brings me some fond memories from the summertime. When my friend Sara came to visit me in California for bojagi study last year, we always finished our busy day with a cup of tea. And this summer when I visited her house and travel to Birmingham for the Festival of Quilt, we tried to find some quiet moments with tea. 
Even after my husband joined for our short holidays in England, we carried on this afternoon routine. 

'The Festival of Quilts' broadened my horizon and I met many like-minded people with enthusiasm. I participated in my friend Sara Cook's exhibition, 'Transparency and Transition' and taught 2 workshops and gave a talk about bojagi. Whenever I had free time, I walked and checked rows and rows of quilt exhibits and vendors' stores. There were many beautiful and innovative quilts and I truly enjoyed many of them. Of course, I scored some vintage linen embroidery floss with a vintage pattern, embroidery hoops in various sizes, fabrics and antique lace doilies.
I visited the Liberty of London and Merchant and Mills in Rye while I was taking holidays as buying habits lasted until the last day of my stay. I came back home with inspirations, ideas, and materials that I eagerly want to work with. 

While I was busy staying in England, two of my bojagi went to the International Quilt Festival in Suzdal, Russia to be a part of 
NEW BEAM: KOREA TEXTILE ART BOGAGI 한국텍스타일 아트 보자기 exhibit. I was honored to be a part of this meaningful cultural exchange program. Many thanks to EWHO GALLERY!

Now I am in my home studio and busy preparing my upcoming exhibition, 'From Fabric to Paper' '보자기, 종이를 만나다' with my ACTA apprenticeSteph Rue.
We will have an exhibition with my at the Consulate General of the Republic of Korea in San Francisco. Please join me at the opening reception on Monday, September 30, 3-5pm.
No invitation required. Just come and enjoy the afternoon with us!
The exhibit will be open to the public until January 3, 2020.

Book recommendation
Sara Cook's new book, Bojagi is one of few books about bojagi written in English. She explains about design and techniques in Korean textile art. If you want to know a little more about bojagi, this will be an excellent reference.

Leave Comments

You'are not allowed to write comments. Please sign in.

July 2019 Newsletter Default Category

July news from Youngmin

Teaching? learning? I love'em both!

I had so much fun teaching Bojagi in June. Every Saturday I was meeting people in different places and I loved every moment. And the Los Gatos library event evening went well, too.

I also spent my downtime to learn something new. Block printing! Learning how to design, carve and print was a wonderful way to spend Sunday morning. I was happy to have a chance to meet Arounna Khounnoraj from Canada.

Teaching and taking a class encouraged me to keep being creative. I was able to finish my bojagi and a few more small projects. 

I will be traveling in July and August. I'm very excited to be a part of the 'Transparency and transition' exhibit curated by Sara Cook and teaching classes and a lecture in Birmingham, U.K.! I will update with lots of photos on Facebook and Instagram. August newsletter might be delayed but please stay tuned!

Korea textile Tour 2019 is full now but you can sign up for the waitlist and future announcements. I will announce the 2020 tour dates and details in December 2019. 

Reading suggestion
I've been suggesting books about Korea but this month, I want to share about Lisa See's The tea girl of hummingbird lane. It is a story about a minority of people in China.
My friend Carol suggested this book to me and I was instantly absorbed into this fascinating story. I have to confess that I cried at the end.

Leave Comments

June 2019 Newsletter Default Category

May news from Youngmin

Art is in the air!

Bojagi allowed me to travel again in May. I went down to SoCal to attend the Irvine Korean Festival and make wind chimes with visitors. I prepared and brought 200 kits with me, and we once again ran out of materials! Thank you very much for coming and making wind chimes with me. And big thanks to my friends and volunteers who came and helped me out all day! 

Last week, I went to 3 branches of the San Mateo County library and shared bojagi and Korean culture with many people who attended the workshop. We made Saekdong bookmarks and Bok Jumeoni to wish happiness and keep good fortune.
If you missed this opportunity to participate, check your calendar and come to the Los Gatos library on June 11th.

I kicked off June by teaching a bojagi class at the De Young Museum's Textile Art Council sponsored workshop. 13 women and I had a wonderful time studying bojagi all day. Thank you for attending and I hope to see many more people apply bojagi techniques and aesthetic to your own artwork!

Korea textile Tour 2019 is full now but you can sign up for the wait list and future announcements.

Reading suggestion
Kyung-Sook Shin's 'Please look after mom' (엄마를 부탁해)
I was thrilled to find this book in English (I had read this book  a long time ago in Korean)  Out of curiosity, I got a copy and read through while I was trying to compare the same story in my memory. I hope you read this book and have a moment to think about family.

Schedule in 2019

June 1, 2019
Textile Arts Council bojagi workshop at De Young Museum
http://www.textileartscouncil.org/

June 8, 2019
Jogakbo class at Cotton Patch
https://quiltusa.com/

June 11, 2019
Bojagi at Los Gatos Library
https://www.losgatosca.gov/2337/Adult-Programs

June 22, 2019
Mosi Jogakbo class at A Verb for Keeping Warm
https://www.averbforkeepingwarm.com/collections/classes/products/youngmin-lee

August 1-4, 2019 
Festival of Quilts, Birmingham U.K.
Exhibition, workshop and lecture
https://www.thefestivalofquilts.co.uk/
Check my 2 classes and a lecture schedule!

October,14-24 2019
Korea Textile Tour 
Tour is FULL now but waitlist is available!
http://koreatextiletour.weebly.com/

Leave Comments