About - Korea Textile Tour
Korea is an amazing place that manages to include an extraordinary variety—everything from the fastest internet connections in the world and innovative architecture to the preservation of cultural heritage, world-class artisans, and mountains for invigorating hikes. Plus many people speak some English and the subway system announces the next station in English. You’ll find that a bow and a few polite expressions in Korean will go far.
BASIC ITINERARY -- KTT 2023-October, 2023
October 9-19, 2023-Sold out
October 23- November, 2, 2023-Sold out
● We will visit national and private museums and galleries (for traditional and contemporary arts and crafts), palaces, hanok houses, temples, artist studios and workshops, and fabulous markets (shopping for textiles and other treasures you won’t want to go home without).
● We will walk through traditional neighborhoods, along a renewed stream in the middle of the city, past historical gates set in the four directions, and across green spaces in an exciting yet safe city where ancient and modern live side by side.
● We will see palace sentries in costume and people wearing hanbok (if you like, you can try one on for a photo).
● We will eat typical Korean food, which includes many healthy, vegetarian, and vegan options, and you will also have access to a variety of cuisines from other countries. You can enjoy Korean teas and even have your Starbucks coffee while away from home.
● We will provide opportunities to experience Korean music and dance, a bathhouse, and more, should you choose to.
● 10 nights single occupancy accommodation (except if we go out of Seoul-double occupancy) in a recently remodeled family-run hotel in a quiet location only a few minutes’ walks to most attractions and eateries.
● Breakfast every morning, 6 lunches and 3 dinners.
● Admission to workshops, museums, and other venues as per the itinerary.
● Transportation--taxi, subway, train, and mini-bus—during the tour days.
● Korean- and English-speaking guide.
● Free time for additional activities. We will provide a list of options for where to go and what to do and help you make arrangements.
COST: $3,950 USD for 2023 tour (based on 10 participants)
What’s not included:
● Airfare to Seoul and back. With everyone traveling from different places and at different times, it's best to book your own flights. When making flight arrangements, keep the time difference in mind: for example, if it's 10 am on the west coast on Sunday, it's 3 am in Seoul on Monday. This also means you'll arrive the day after you fly out.
● Travel insurance (required).
● Transfer from airport to hotel and back. We will provide recommendations for bus, train, or taxi.
● Hotel accommodations for extra days before and after the tour, but we can help arrange that if you want to come early or stay longer.
● Cost of your activities, meals, and transportation during free days and after the daily tour schedule.
Is this the right tour for you?
- If you prefer a combination of small group touring and free time to explore the safe city that is Seoul with like-minded textile enthusiastic women, this may be the tour for you.
- If you hesitate to step outside your comfort zone and be in unfamiliar surroundings, and if you prefer to be led everywhere in a large bus, with every minute planned out, this is NOT the tour for you.
- To avoid your own discomfort and not hinder the group’s activities, please be realistic about your physical abilities: Are you able to walk and manage stairs for several hours through the city, museums, galleries, etc? You need to be reasonably fit as we will be walking every day, often in conjunction with public transportation. Bring your comfy shoes with you! On some occasions, we will sit on the floor, most often for a meal.
- Koreans eat with long, pointed metal chopsticks and a spoon. If you’re not accustomed to using chopsticks, it would be useful to practice ahead of time.
- In order for the tour to run smoothly, participants need to be flexible, punctual, and respectful of others. No divas, please! It will be helpful if you can express your needs AND be proactive in meeting them.
A $500 non-refundable deposit via PayPal will reserve your place. The balance is to be paid by check or money order in two installments: no later than March 31 and June 30.
After you got an email from me that tells you to have a spot, make a deposit here!
You can receive a refund of 75% if you cancel at least six months in advance; 50% if you cancel at least three months in advance; 25% for cancellations made at least one month in advance. There are no refunds thereafter. Traveler’s insurance is required. Covid-19 vaccines are required.