KBF 2014 Default Category

This summer I went to Korea to attend the second Korea Bojagi Forum. It was held in beautiful Jeju island. Chunghie Lee, a well-known Bojagi artist and teacher who teaches bojagi course in RISD (Rhode Island School of Design) organized this international Bojagi Forum. 

지난 여름은 무척 신나고 바쁜 시간이었답니다. 제주에서 열린 국제 보자기 포럼엘 다녀왔지요. 보자기 작가이자 선생님이신 이정희 교수님 (로드 아일랜드 디자인 학교)께서 주관하신 행사입니다.

I was honored to be invited to this event as an artist and a bojagi teacher. I submit my works and my 3 students’ works from California and Mexico. Their works were showed in the exhibition.These are works from my students and I am very proud of them!

작가로서 또 보자기를 가르치는 사람으로서 이행사에 참여하게 되어서 몹시 기뻤지요. 여기 제 학생들 작품입니다! 에헴! 멋지지요?

Helen Park's curtain, 모시 가리개 using ssamsol technique

헬렌 박의 모시 창문 가리개

Lucy Hernandez's (Mexico) window covering using ssamsol technique!

멕시코의 루시 헤르난데즈의 햇살 가리개!

Youn Kyu Park's jogakbo 

박연규씨의 숙고사 조각보

There were several bojagi exhibitions, lectures and workshops during the forum. I was able to meet many bojagi artists and teachers from many countries. 

많은 전시와 강연과 워크샵이 우리모두를 바쁘게 뛰어다니게 했지요.  그와중에 많은 보자기 작가들과 보자기를 작품세계에 표현하고 있는 많은 사람들을 만나고 친해지고 동지애를 느끼는 소중한 시간들이었답니다.

I was reconnected with one of my friend from college years in here and that made me cry :)

대학시절의 친구를 여기서 우연히 만나고 또 기뻐 눈물까지 흘렸답니다. 반갑다, 영심아!

Lectures gave me a chance to learn about not only bojagi but also about many different forms of surface design artworks with bojagi influence.

강의들도 다양한 주제로 이어지고 마치 대학시절로 돌아간 듯 했답니다.

Besides the lecture, the forum offered 3 workshops and I attended the ‘persimmon dye workshop’.

The persimmon dye method was used for working clothes in old days. Fermented persimmon dyed fabrics repel insects and doesn’t cling to the body even it is wet. And it gives extra durability to the cotton fabrics. I dyed a silk scarf with persimmon and a piece of silk fabric with persimmon and gardenia fruit. The color becomes darker and darker each time you immerse it in the water and dry in the sun.

강연외에도 3가지 워크샵중에 한가지를 골라 배울 수 있는 기회가 있었답니다. 제주서 유명한 갈물 (감물 들이기)을 배울 절호의 기회! 갈물은 제주의 노동복에 사용된 것으로 풋감을 으깨어 즙을 내어 물을 들였답니다. 해충을 막아주고 물에 젖어도 몸에 달라 붙지 않고 또 옷감에 강도를 더해 오래 사용할 수 있게 해주었다지요. 워크샵에서 실크 스카프에 감물을, 실크 한마에 감물과 치자물을 함께 들였답니다. 감물은 물에 적셔 햇볕에 널면 점점 색깔이 진해집니다. 최고 10번까지 되풀이해서 짙은 색상을 얻을 수 있다네요. 전 집에 돌아와서 캘리포니아의 좋은 햇살아래 되풀이해서 진한 색상을 얻고 있답니다.   

My teacher- Soon Ja Yang 갈물 선생님, 몽생이, 양순자 선생님

Another workshop was bojagi making with In Sook Choi, a master bojagi artist in Korea. She held a smaller jumoni workshop where I was able to help out and learn some new things.

저녁에 또 작은 특강이 있었지요. 최인숙 선생님의 주머니 만들기입니다. 피곤한 눈을 비비면서 다들 열심히 만들었어요. 주머니 만들기만이 아니라 한국의 전통도 알려주시는 선생님의 강의, 저도 이제 따라 할겁니다!

Another workshop was Joomchi, Korean paper making art. Jiyoung Jung, who is well known joomchi artist who makes joomchi work and workshops in US and Korea.

또다른 워크샵은 줌치, 정지영 선생님의 지도아래 한지를 이용한 새로운 작업입니다. 배우고 싶었지만 몸이 단하나인 까닭에..... 정지영 선생님은 이정희 교수님의 따님이세요. 얼마나 따뜻한 마음씨의 소유자인지.... 예쁜 분입니다.

And it was very nice to see my friend's book, 100 Thimbles in a Box!

그리고 제 친구 존의 책도 선보였지요. 많은 사람들이 좋아했어요!

The last day in Jeju, we took a tour of this beautiful island. This is the place that I came for my honeymoon some years ago and it was still very beautiful.

제주에서의 마지막 날은 섬 전체를 둘러보는 관광! 오래전에 신혼여행을 왔었던 이 섬은 아직도 무척 아름답습니다. 

I had a wonderful time and looking forward to go back in 2016! I hope to see you there, too.

즐거웠던 기억을 모두 뒤로하고 이년후 2016년의 포럼을 기대합니다. 우리 거기서 만날까요?

Tag :

Leave Comments

You'are not allowed to write comments. Please sign in.